Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Ruffles and Lace! Satin and Sequins! Love it All!!!

I remember seeing this dress in an older Brides magazine while I was in high school. After I purchased my first magazine, I found out we could check them out of the school library.  That was fun going through all those old ones and seeing the gowns from the late 1970's and early 80's.  I am not really fond of the veil, it reminds me of an old curtain or something the way it sticks out on the sides.  Probably because it is so short.  Most veils go to at least the fingertips.  But I think the dress is adorable.  If I was getting married now would I wear something like this gown today?  Sure I would. Look at those baby ruffles!  So sweet!  But I would like a long train and this one never showed the back so I don't know if there was a train or not.  And at my age baby ruffles may not be appropriate?  Oh well, whatever!

When we were kids we played wedding all the time.  I always married David Cassidy or Donny Osmond.  And my mom had given me old sheer curtains to use as a veil.  That was a strange random memory that just popped up in my brain!  And she always bought see through robes and pretty fancy night gowns at our church rummage sale for my dress up box.  I'd be outside playing in the summer with a silk nightie and fancy robe (I suppose they were called Peignoirs?) on over my shorts and tank top and probably had a curtain on my head and dandelions in my hands.  I guess I was a wedding nut back then too!

Between 7th and 8th grade, I think it was, I got to sing at my cousin's wedding.  I sang Evergreen from A Star Is Born and You Light Up My Life.  I was so nervous.  But I guess I did ok for a 13 year old.  I had sung at church once or twice and Paper Roses at the school talent show but this wedding was a big deal to me.  This is my brother Kevin and I before the wedding that day.  I was obviously very proud of my corsage!  Since I am pointing at it. I loved my dress with the flowy thingy over it.  Poncho?  I guess it was like a poncho.  This is the only picture of me from that day that I know of.  Sorry it isn't very clear.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I never did get to marry Donny or David...Drat!



Oh well till next time...Guess I'll imagine Donny Osmond singing Go Away Little Girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment