Monday, March 11, 2024

 And Then I found Diamonds!!!!

So I was completely obsessed with weddings already in high school and then I found diamond rings.  I babysat all the time and one family had season passes to our local amusement park so I got one too and would go along with the family several times a week all spring, summer and fall.  I noticed I was always looking at rings.  We would stand in line in those mazes waiting to get on rides and women would have their hand on the railing and I noticed every single diamond ring I ever saw I think.  I was odd, what can I say?  As I got into my senior year of high school, I took a class where we planned our wedding and learned all about babies and interior decorating.  When it came to wedding planning my friend Becky and I got to do our report on wedding rings.  We were so excited.  We spent an evening at the mall going to the jewelry stores and looking around, most of the sales people blew us off as we were not going to make them a commission, so the last store we went to, Becky told him I was getting married and hadn't gotten an engagement ring yet so we were looking to see what we could see.  He let us both try on just about every ring in the store and the one I remember most was worth over $27,000.00!  He said it was a perfect flawless 4 carat (I think) diamond.  He let me look at it through the special magnifier, but that meant nothing to me really, I could see black dots on other diamonds it seems and not that one.  But otherwise, I had no idea what I was looking for.  But it was fun and that ring was gorgeous.  It was just a solitaire but it was a big diamond and it sure sparkled in the lights!  It looked a lot like this:


In 1983 the popular rings looked alot like these:






Lots of swirls in gold and diamonds it seems
Several people I knew had just a plain solitaire with a plain band.  I wanted lots of diamonds!
I remember seeing trios like these



My very favorite cut was the Marquise cut.  It still is today, though you hardly ever see it.  Nowdays everyone wants Princess cut stones it seems.
Marquise
My absolute very favorites had marquise and baguettes, I remember that night with Becky is the first time I learned about baguettes, that salesman gave us a quick education in diamonds which helped us get an A on our report!

Princess cut from today
And today in 2024 I am still obsessed over 1980's wedding gowns and gorgeous diamond rings!



















 

No comments:

Post a Comment